|I got my camera working. I'm so glad it's not broken!|
Culinary disaster struck in my kitchen today. That's right, folks, I dumped my hard work in the garbage today.
My idea was to make cute little single serving cheesecakes. I have a truck load of kefir in my fridge right now and we just can't drink it fast enough. If you've made kefir before, you know it multiples like crazy and can soon take over your house. If you don't know what kefir is, it's kind of like a yogurt drink. Anyway, I decided to make cheese with it and use it for the base of my cheesecakes. I strained the kefir and had a nice, thick cream cheese consistency. I added vanilla and honey. It tasted great. I looked in my recipe book and saw that cheesecake has eggs in it. Ok, I added eggs. So far, so good.
Next came the crust, I found a recipe for a nut crust from good ol' Betty Crocker. I thought that was so great that I didn't even have to experiment with a grain free pie crust. It was all done for me and from Betty Crocker no less.
I lined a muffin tin with papers and pressed my crust into them just like you would press a graham cracker crust into a pie tin. I then poured my cheese concoction on top and popped it in the oven. After about 15 minutes I checked on them. They looked pretty and had risen nicely. "Yeah!" I thought and patted myself on the back. As they cooled I noticed they were slowly deflating. Huh. A few minutes later they sank down in the middle. Uh-oh and double uh-oh. I went to pull the paper off one and it stuck. No matter how careful I was the crust broke and the paper refused to come off in places.
Well, it wasn't nice to look at, but maybe it still tasted really delicious. At least that would be something. Nope. They were terrible. It was slightly sour and super eggy tasting. What a bummer. I hate wasting food and I hate wasting time and I hate when my recipe is a complete flop! I wanted to take pictures so you could see my sad little cakes, but when I went to take them, my camera wouldn't work.
Today has been one of those days and I am glad it's over and I get to start fresh tomorrow. I woke up to a super grumpy 3rd grader who was not ready to go back to school from the long Thanksgiving break and then my three year old was having a bad day and wanted everyone else to join him. I dropped a bottle of powder on the kitchen floor and it exploded covering my kitchen from top to bottom. The best part (feel the sarcasm?) was when I rinsed out a glass sitting on the counter, filled it with water, and took a sip. It tasted very salty and burned my tongue and throat.
Once I figured out what happened I felt like a complete idiot. I had a glass with bleach in it sitting on the dryer in the laundry room. My husband grabbed it up and set it on the counter in the kitchen. Lee and I share cups a lot and I just assumed it was his water glass. Never again will I drink from a cup on the counter unless I know for a fact it is mine. I'm ok, but I still have a burn in my throat and a funny taste in my mouth. Did I mention I get to start over tomorrow.